By altering normal walking, into a ‘Stride for Fitness’ which involves good posture and focussed actions – you’ll soon be walking in the right direction!
- Your head is looking forward, eyes up away from the ground. (If terrain is flat and clear).
- Your back, shoulders and neck are relaxed without being held stiffly.
- Your arms are liberally swinging freely and naturally whilst remaining a small arc at the elbows. A little push with your arms is fine without exaggerating too much.
- Core muscles in your abdomen are moderately tightened with your back upright yet not robotically stiff. Be mindful not to lean too far forward or backward.
- You’re walking smoothly and methodically, rolling your foot from heel to toe.
- Try to be mindful of deliberately rolling over the ball of your foot, then pushing off from your toes as the said foot is behind you. Pushing slightly off from the ball-of-foot gives you extra propulsion, speed and purpose.